Monday, September 21, 2009

In Recovery

*BIG DEEP BREATH*

Charles is out of surgery and in recovery. The recovery and neuro-ICU are the same so he's still very much asleep. They just gave him some morphine for pain.

AHHH I can't type worth a crap!

Dr. Black came in and said he was doing great, the surgery went really well no major complications. The only thing is that they were NOT able to remove all of the tumor :( There was some that had wrapped around the optic nerve and if they had tried getting any more of the tumor out he could have lost his vision in his right eye. So the plan is to keep an eye on the tumor, make sure it doesn't grow or cause any more problems. If it does become a problem then he will need radiation (stereotactic radiosurgery/GammaKnife, etc) to kill the tumor cells.

OK I'm sorry I'm still all worried about all the negatives and I'm not WAHOO HE'S OK! I'm crappy :( TOO MUCH STRESS. But, WAHOO, HE'S OK! He knew who we were, he can see, etc. His brain functions seem fine. He's still normal Charles, the first thing he said when we saw him was "where's my bacon from Abby??" Thankfully it wasn't wanting to know where Kirby was because in the mad dash to go see him I forgot to grab his plastic Kirby representation that we stuffed in a zip lock (the mason jar opening was too small to fit Kirby AND his frying pan through).

Once I calm down more and he's more alive I'll be happier. Probably once he's conscious enough to make me smile all the time like normal! :)

I'm just stuck on the fact that while I know it's never over, I was REALLY hoping they would get 100% of the tumor, and the 3 neurosurgeons that looked at his MRIs all said it WASN'T wrapped around the optic nerve so I think that JUST happened recently- having to do with the fact that his vision started getting foggy a couple weeks ago. The fog is still there, but I dont think any worse than it was. BUT he's not blind in that eye so that's awesome!! And he doesn't have any sexy black eyes either.

I'm just not looking forward to when he's fully conscious and finds out that they shaved off one of his sideburns!! Ooooh that's not gonna be a happy time! That might possibly be one of the things he'll be most upset about ;)

Though overall... I'm disappointed because I really wanted to be able to tell him he was ok and Kirby was gone. But... he's not 100% gone :( There's Kirby Poop on his eye nerve!!!

THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS!

HE'S ALIVE AND WELL AND WE WILL LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!!!!!

And as Abby keeps reminding me trying to keep me upbeat, his (wonderfully crazy) personality hasn't changed and that's the most important thing :)

YAAAAAAAY CHARLES!!!

We'll know more about how he's feeling and everything later but for now, that's my update!

*KEEL OVER TIME*

Love, Sue W.

5 comments:

  1. I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR HE'S DOING OKAY! that sucks that kirby's got a hold on his eye, but hopefully it wont cause anything bad.

    charles should totally keep the one sideburn... it will be badass!!!!

    horray for good doctors!!!

    elyse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Charles!!! I've been reading along waiting patiently to hear how he is, and it's great that they got most of it out. It sucks that its around the optic nerve, but again the brunt of it is out, and they know its there, so he just has to get checked up on with it, which he would probably have to go up for normal check ups anyways. So yay for Charles!!! I hope he has a very speedy recovery. : )


    Matt Katz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you've calmed down some since the text earlier. I hope Charles is back to being a goofball soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I'm late on the ball and I don't know why I thought the surgery was tomorrow, but I'm happy to read the surgery itself went without a hitch. I'm sorry for you both to read about the last bit they weren't able to remove. I'm sure you'll get a ton of information about it over the next few weeks, but I wonder if it's worth asking if the radiation could be use to preemptively take care of the bit around his optic nerve? It seems that would be a better option than having the worry of something that might happen hanging over your heads.

    Charles will be getting lots and lots of solid druggy morphine sleep now, so you should try to get some rest, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue and Charles!!! Waited today to see an update on MM and decided to check your blog. Glad things went well and praying Charles heals quickly! Sorry to hear about the little bit left behind...he will need checkups anyway so that doesn't change much but you may want to see what Dr. B thinks about radiating now vs. later IF there is growth. I think a lot of times they try to really be careful with that area of the brain because of vision issues but it doesn't hurt to ask! And of course you will get more information when you found out what grade Kirby is. He probably has the same incision my Mom did so his jaw will be sore for awhile, probably weeks and he will probably have swelling and black eyes tomorrow, etc. Get him an ice pack if he doesn't have one already. REMEMBER to get your rest so you can take good care of him!!!

    Kourtney (goldilocks16)

    ReplyDelete